Friday, July 3, 2009

Blogger's Challenge: Red White and Blue

Today's Blogger's challenge was to create something Red, White and Blue. Unfortunately, I am at the bottom of an inspiration hole. I have a deadline Monday for submitting to a magazine I write for and I need to make one more sample for them...and everything I made yesterday hit the trash. Today I woke up thinking I was inspired -- I thought using the sparkle flower from SU's Good Friend set would make a great firework explosion. Alas, I am rushed -- DH wants to paint the kitchen today and I need to go pick out paint colors.
I do have to say, in my defense, that the sparkle thingy does look like fireworks. And the red paper in the background, from The Paper Temptress, looks great. I originally intended to make this a Beaded Window card, too (December 2005 issue of the Technique Junkie Newsletter). I couldn't find any white floss (again, hurried) so I strung my beads on tan -- and when I laid them down, they just looked plain ol' cruddy. Then I dropped the string of beads all over my floor... I also wanted to put a more current "Celebrate" word in there, from SU, but all I could find was this old retired one....I think that threw me off further. The "Happy 4th of July" saying is from Artistic Outpost.

So my card became a drywall-stitched card (April 2009 issue of TJNL). And don't look too close, because it is not a great one at that!

C'est la vie. It is only a card!!! Happy 4th of July to you!

17 comments:

Ida said...

This is a FUN card Pat, I really like the way the flower looks like bursting Fireworks.

Connie Babbert said...

I thought that stamp looked like fireworks, too, and almost used it. I love your card!

Barb Hardeman said...

It's a fun card, Pat. You certainly rose to the occasion in pulling it together with hubby breathing down your neck LOL! I like the way if all finally came together...

Basement Stamper said...

This is so cute, it definitely looks like fireworks! I hope that inspiration hits you this weekend!

Tami Black said...

I think this kindergarten card is fabulous! Thanks for sharing -- I especially enjoyed your commentary. If my DH wanted to paint, everything else would WAIT!

Nikki Bond said...

Love this! You did a fab job on the stitching...gorgeus! {SMILES}

Chrissy D said...

I love how the bursts look like fireworks - FABULOUS, Pat!

Kristen said...

Pat,
This is a wondeful card, and I love how it really does look like fireworks. Well, done.

Sheryl Dickinson said...

Great card. The flower is perfect for fireworks.

Lisa Somerville said...

Great stamps for fireworks!

Kerry D-C said...

I think this is SUPER FESTIVE, Pat!! I hate when my DH is rushing me becuase he got an itch to suddenly do something!

Margaret Raburn said...

Very fun card, Pat! That stamp DOES look like fireworks! Love the window and the stitching around it.

Patti Chesky said...

The flowers do look like fireworks. Very cute card!!

Maxene said...

Wow, you're so hard on yourself Pat! I love this card and the fireworks are so cute! It was the perfect stamp to use!

Unknown said...

Fun!!!! Reminds me of fireworks!!

Lori said...

What great fireworks, Pat!

Rachel Hope said...

It came out great!!! The flowers look perfect as fireworks!