Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Ode to Buffalo...

I am originally from Buffalo (actually a little town outisde the city called Cheektowaga) so images of Buffaloes or Bison evoke feelings of home and childhood. It is hard for people who are not native Buffalonians to understand, but that is one city that has a sense of identity. So, of course, when I saw this Buffalo from Stampin' Up!, I needed it. If for nothing else, for birthday cards for the men in my extended family. This card is exactly that. A birthday card from my Brother-in-law. Who now lives in Albany, but has Buffalo in his heart.  

My Buffalo card uses the plaid technique (December 2010 issue of the Technique Junkie Newsletter), which I diffused slightly to soften the effect. The Buffalo was colored with Copics, and layered over Torn Frame (December 2008 TJNL). A strip of highlighted texture completes the card.

If you have a connection to Buffalo, give me  some love!

11 comments:

Elaine A said...

Love how this card turned out Pat! It is just awesome. Your brother-in-law will love it. Not from Buffalo, born in California but grew up in NYC and have lived for the past 30 years in West Point Country.

Elaine Allen

stitchy said...

Pat, wow that is fantastic :)...you are so talented and your from NEW YORK, ME TOOO :)...I live about 60 miles southeast of Buffalo...little town called Springwater :)..can't believe how beautiful that card is...I am going to sign up for your newsletter right now :)

stitchy
xoxox

loz said...

Absolutely stunning card Pat..Loz

Card Crazy said...

Your bison looks so real, fantastic coloring. My son, who has lasting fond memories of the buffalo herds he saw in the Dakotas, would love this image. Beautiful man card.
Sue S.

Kathy Eddy said...

No connection to Buffalo, but this card is wonderful! I love that image and the torn frames was the perfect choice for it.

Ellis said...

Even thou I live in Sweden that's an amazing card! =)

Hugs, Elenor

Vickie Kertz said...

Pat, this card is fabulous. Perfect coloring job. TFS

mary noble said...

Pat, You did an awesome job with this set and card - I love it! I did a watercolored buffalo of this but I like yours much better....I am still a novice at watercoloring. When we were at Yellowstone I almost had a face to face encounter with a buffalo, so that's my "connection" and I ended up with a broken lower right leg, ugh! Mary L

Becky Jo said...

Your card is beautiful! I love buffalo and anything Native American. We have a friend who raises buffalo. I have this SU stamp and haven't inked it up yet. Have several male cards to make for this year and you have given me ideas. Hugs!!

Beth Norman said...

This is a very funny article. I think it is pretty cool that you found a buffalo stamp for your family buffolians. Great card. Love the torn frames with the image.

Nancy said...

Yes, I remember Buffalo fondly, having gone to D'Youville College School of Nursing, (near the Peace Bridge) and rotating through Our Lady of Victory Hospital. Do you remember the Park Meadow near the Zoo and their fabulous beef on 'weck? Buffalo is where I first learned there was a sport called ice hockey and where I saw my first ginko tree. I also fondly remember the Club LaLa and a boy from Canisius. Thanks for the memories.