Friday, November 6, 2009

Blogger's Challenge -- Painted Pastel Embossing Tutorial


Today's Blogger's Challenge was to use a technique -- and give the directions for doing it. Rather than using an older technique, I decided to create my own -- and a tutorial for it follows. My technique,is called Painted Pastel Embossing, and the details are below. I used a cuttlebug folder with an Artistic Outpost saying stamp for the card above. The 5 petal punch poinsettia was made using the tutorial HERE.

To achieve the painted look of my holly, this is what I did:

First, emboss dark cardstock using an embossing folder. I am sure this will work with light cardstock, too, but the dark stuff will give you more drama! Load a wet blender pen with a hefty amount of pastel chalk.






Use the blender pen to color the embossed parts of the images using colors as desired. I painted my holly with a medium green, and used a lighter green to highlight the top of the leaves.






After I finished coloring, I realized that I had gone beyond the lines with my colors, so I used a clean blender pen to push the chalks off the black cardstock and back onto the embossing. It worked like an eraser!






This is so easy it is sinful! It is a great way to make your embossed cards POP. Make sure to check out the creations from the other Blogger's challenge players, too -- the is a link on my sidebar with their addresses. Today is a day to learn new techniques!